Monday, June 28, 2010

Teen Identity Pledge

Teen Identity is a program put together by Atlanta Photo/Video team Tasra Wyatt Dawson and her husband/filmmaker Ron Dawson which is designed to give teen girls a positive, wholesome self image.  It is best said in their words:

Our Mission: Provide teen girls with a positive magazine that is uplifting, empowering and encouraging. A magazine that believes beauty isn’t all about appearance and looking sexy, but instead celebrates the true beauty in every teen girl.
Our Goal: Unleash the true beauty in teen girls by equipping and empowering them to find their voice, expand their vision, and achieve their dreams. 

Our company has taken the Teen Identity Photographers Pledge, promising to uphold the ethics and mission of this great organization.

TEEN IDENTITY PHOTOGRAPHERS PLEDGE

As a Teen Identity network photographer/filmmaker, I agree to uphold and promote these ideals:
  1. I will provide a photo/video session experience with teen girl clients designed to elevate their self esteem, make them feel beautiful and empowered.
  2. Any photos and videos I (or my studio) create portraying teen girls will be done without over-sexualizing the subject. Photos and videos will be created tastefully, preserving the “innocence” of youth, yet at the same time striving to reveal the true personalities of our subjects.
  3. Each year I (or my studio) will donate whatever time I can afford towards a Teen Identity approved organization or project designed to raise self-esteem in teen girls, empower teen girls, or address some issue of social injustice facing teen girls. This may include, but is not limited to, pro bono photo sessions for teen girls in economically depressed neighborhoods; teaching photography and/or video workshops on behalf of Teen Identity; acting as a photography/video coach for teen girls in my local neighborhood.

This video was made by Ron Dawson, and illustrates a major problem which often goes unspoken in our society.  It is a vivid and disturbing look at a grim reality.  But hopefully by raising awareness we can bring an end to this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shane Thompson Photographers

My photo
Southern, California, United States
Hello, My name is Shane Thompson, I am a wedding photographer based out of sunny southern California. I photography weddings in a relaxed stress free documentary style. I specialize in recording the intimate details of your wedding day and preserving them in your wedding album. If you would like more information please check out my website at http://thompson-photography.net or give me a call at 949-278-2330

Followers