Thursday, October 29, 2009

Photo #10

Photo #10 of my Challenge.  For this one I wanted to do a still life, but not a bow of fruit kind of still life, something that reflected me and would be of interest to me.   I decided to shoot film!!!   I wanted to pay homage to the medium I learned on and all the hours and hours (and money) I spent shooting, developing, printing, and hunched over a light table looking at slides through a loupe.  The setup was a white seamless background I have made from some bathboard I bought at lowes.  I used two 500watt photoflood studio lights to light it.  The first was placed to my left and behind the film.  It was about a foot above the table.  Its job was to light up the bakground, illuminate the slides, and give some nice shadow detail on the front.  The second studio light was just to the right of the camera and back a couple of feet.  It was about 8 feet high and shining down.  I wanted this fill light to be less bright, but still give some detail to the front of the objects and bring some detail to the shadows.  The camera settings were ISO 100, f16 and 1/8 second, tripod mounted, incandescent wb setting.


In photoshop I made a duplicate layer, removed color from the top layer, erased that layer from the slides revealing the color base layer below.  I then bumped up contrast saturation, etc... to get the look I wanted.

Hope you enjoy the picture as much as I enjoyed making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shane Thompson Photographers

My photo
Southern, California, United States
Hello, My name is Shane Thompson, I am a wedding photographer based out of sunny southern California. I photography weddings in a relaxed stress free documentary style. I specialize in recording the intimate details of your wedding day and preserving them in your wedding album. If you would like more information please check out my website at http://thompson-photography.net or give me a call at 949-278-2330

Followers